Sunday, February 10, 2013

Burnt or Undercooked? Or both...?

Today was rainy and uneventful. So I decided that I might do some baking. I fancied something with apples and sultanas in it, thinking I might even take it into work in the morning, and share it with my colleagues at tea-break. I thought I would be very clever, and tweak a basic banana-bread recipe, omitting the bananas and replacing them with sultanas, grated apples and a smidge of cinnamon. What could possibly go wrong? Well, for  a start, I underestimated just how wet and sloppy a banana bread recipe is, and how long something that wet and sloppy takes to bake. Somehow, it works perfectly when mashed bananas comprise some of the sloppiness, but not so much when said bananas are absent. I don't know why; perhaps bananas have some sort of binding quality, that makes cakes bake properly, but all I know is that when I checked my loaf after the 35 minutes stated in the recipe, it was far, far, far from being anywhere even nearly close to thinking about being cooked. So I left it for another little while. And another little while. And another... Then I turned up the heat on the oven a little bit... The top of the cake had by now turned from golden-brown to dark brown, and was on the point of turning black, so I had to put some tin foil around the sides, to try and prevent it from burning, but the inside was still sloppy and uncooked, as evidenced by the skewer I poked into it at frequent intervals, which stubbornly kept emerging with goopy cake-mix clinging to it. So annoyed with it was I that I decided to mention it on my Facebook profile. Somebody helpfully suggested that I try putting it in the microwave for a few minutes. Hm. So I did, for 5 minutes. Then another 5, and another 5, and another, and another... *sigh* here we go again... Still, at least in the microwave, it wasn't burning on top anymore. After many short blasts in the microwave, I eventually decided it was 'done', and have left it to cool. In all, it has taken over 3 hours to bake this cake, which was supposed to take 35 minutes. It's 1:50AM. I'm going to bed. But before I do, I'll issue this piece of important advice: Don't try to use a banana bread recipe for making anything other than banana bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment